June 16, 2011

Life lately

Hold the phones...I am BACK! And with so much to report... It has been a whirlwind of emotions and events from the moment that I stepped off of my plane from New York City.  And, it was reality that was waiting to greet me at the gate, welcoming me home.
Two weeks.  That is all it took for the Lord to completely flip my world around and shake up my comfortable little life.  It is weird to think that we can work for years to build a life that the Lord can take away in only a few seconds...and that is where this life (this temporary home that we are residing in here on earth) is brought into perspective, and believe me that concept will change your life.  It has already started to change mine!

I have tried for over a week to write this post, and I have yet to successfully put into words the great work that the Lord is doing in my heart right now.  While I may not be able to find the exact words to say, there is a song that does a pretty good job at doing that for me.  For all of you who do not listen to K-LOVE, you are truly missing out!  This station fills my car with encouragement every day on my commute to work.  One of the songs that they love to play, and once you hear it you will know why, is a song called "Blessings" by Laura Story.  Listen for yourself!  But be ready for this song to pull on your heartstrings.  And, if you are a sappy goob like myself, I would have a tissue close by!


Every word in this song is filled with truth.  Why is it that we are always asking the Lord to bless us in our situations, and, then we get angry with Him when we feel like all we get is a whole lot of suffering, with little to no blessings in sight?  I KNOW that I do this.  I did this all last week.  I was hurting and to my miniscule, little brain I could not comprehend why I must be put through the ringer, when my life was perfectly fine just the way it was.  But, THAT'S where I was wrong.  Without trials, I didn't have a reason to fully rely on the Lord, and it was evident in the way that I lived my everyday life.  How can you know if something is a blessing if you haven't seen what pain is first?  I think it is all summed up in the last verse of this song:

And what if trials in this life
The rain, the storms, the hardest nights,
Are your mercies in disguise?

Whatever storm you are facing right now, know that you are not alone.  Suffering is everywhere and no one is exempt from its wrath.  But, with the Hope that we have in the Lord, how can you not see the blessings in the midst of the rain?  Because, those are His true mercies, just in disguise :)